James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

My odometer display on my ford 2007 Freestar stopped working

Customer Question

My odometer display on my ford 2007 Freestar stopped working and I am trying to figure out how to get to the instrument panel
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: From searching the forums it mentions cold solder joints on some resistors
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: hopefully
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: That is the only thing at the moment
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
Hello, you are looking on directions to remove the instrument cluster?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes...I want to check the solder joints.
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/qp060nmto03ghez/AABiJ6Qx14d2p1Ykto18TsUAa
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
The two screws are on the finish panel covering the instrument cluster. The other 4 screws hold in the instrument cluster.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I get the parts of the dash off so that I can get to these screws?
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
The only other panel that may need to be removed is the panel under the steering wheel. There are 7mm screws holding it on the bottom as well. When the screws are removed the panel pops off. This will give you access to the two screws on the finish panel for instrument cluster.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I found a panel above the steering wheel that pops off giving access to the screws on the bottom of the instrument cluster. I still don't find a way to get to the other screws holding the instrument cluster in. Just an FYI, when I pull the bottom of the instrument cluster forward my mileage display returns. When I push it back down it goes out again.
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
That is what usually fails. Resoldering connections usually repairs it. If you shine a light into the upper right and left corner you don't see any screws?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, I don't see any screws other than the two that I found when I removed the cover just above the steering column.
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e86279rei46551m/2016-04-30%2021.35.53.jpg?dl=0
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
The screws in the photo I sent are facing straight up. You can't find these ones?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There are no screws visible as shown in your drawing. There might be under the software covering on the top of the dash? We are talking about a 2007 Ford Freestar correct?
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/khl1drm2qsg3ny8/2016-05-03%2020.15.18.jpg?dl=0
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
Is this photo better. There is a different photo from Ford and all data. My guess is this second photo looks more correct?