A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

P0491 and p0410 JA: Sometimes things that you think will be

Customer Question

p0491 and p0410
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: not much, just the check engine light, so I bought a code reader at autozone and that's the codes
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing, just started google-ing....
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: nada
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 months ago.
What year and model Ford are you working on?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2006 zx3, 123k miles. CA car.
There is an issue with the secondary air diverter system. I need to know if you have a 2.0L or the 2.3L engine?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The system will require proper testing to locate the cause of the codes. You will need to inspect the air pump, hoses and valve and make sure everything is intact. Then you will need a scan tool that can activate the air diverter valve and pump to test for proper operation. See below.