Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Ford Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Ford Technician experience. I have built many custom Fords, I also collect them.
9795573

My 70 ford mustang has a fusible link at the starter. What

Customer Question

My 70 ford mustang has a fusible link at the starter. What side of the solenoid does it go to?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The starter has a fusible link. I was wondering what side of the solenoid it goes to. I also have a gauge problem, they work once in awhile then stop. What is causing this?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I also have a gauge problem. They work sometimes and stop working now. What causes this?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Its a 70 mustang clone car,351 windsor , aluminum heads and 4speed. I am getting a electronic voltage regulator weds.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 7 months ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, The wiring diagram does not show a fuse link at the starter so I think someone has added this over the years. Can you post a picture or two of the link and where it is on the starter?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Its a mini starter and appears to a lug for the fusible link What side of the fender solenoid should this be on?
I opted out of the other question you posted and I will do the same here. I need to see this as it is aftermarket.
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I am Dr Hamman, I am an electrical specialist. and fusible link should be on the same solenoid terminal that the positive battery cable attaches to. The other large solenoid terminal only has power when cranking the engine. On the instrument problem, odds are they are loosing power, or their ground. I would pull out the instrument panel, and inspect the power and ground connections. I would clean them up, and consider running voltage drop tests on them