EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

My Service engine soon indicator light is on and remains on

Customer Question

My Service engine soon indicator light is on and remains on when driving.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: It doesn't show a code, how do I find it?
JA: The more information we have the better, but not to worry - the Ford Mechanic will know how to find that out. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. The more information we have the better, but not to worry - the Ford Mechanic will know how to find that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: We just had a transmission rebuild, but after driving for awhile it begins to struggle.
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: we did see the wrench come up but it went away.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 12 months ago.
Hi. Having a code would be helpful. If the check engine light was on in the past day there should be a code in the computers memory. IF the scan tool you are using does not indicate a code you may want to check when the light is on. Also the wrench light will give a code. And the wrench light usually indicates that there is a transmission problem or a problem with the electronic throttle body. What kind of Ford is this?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ford Explorer 2006 6 cyl. I am not a mechanic and would have to take it to one to pull the code. I recently had a transmission rebuild.
A code will at least need to be checked to get an idea of what could be wrong. Auto part stores will scan it for free. But maybe in your case, you should take it back to the place who rebuilt it. Whether or not it is something they caused or related to the repair, you can tell them this happened after you got the car back and they should at least look at it for free. Maybe give you an idea of what could be going on, before spending any more money.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 11 months ago.
Did you get the code checked? Make any progress? Please rate me positively for my assistance. Thank you.