Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Ford Explorer 2004 XLT 4WD. Emissions control light comes

Customer Question

Ford Explorer 2004 XLT 4WD. Emissions control light comes on, warning sounds then car stalls. Ford dealer said they don't know what causes this.
JA: Whether it's at the end of the driveway or on the highway, a car stalling can be dangerous. The good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all kinds of engine issues. How old is the battery? Does the car stall out mainly when going up or down hills?
Customer: Battery is new. Stalling can be at any time. It will go for weeks without a problem, then might stall twice in a row.
JA: Got it. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. Six months ago, a dealer would not tell us what the problem is. Said they would source a part from overseas. We have not heard anything more, so we need to fix it ourselves.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: We know it is not the fuel rail sensor and we have replaced the oil sensor. The fuel light does not come on. Have changed oil and filter but the low oil pressure light still comes on. How do I cancel that warning light?
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fix It Man replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am sorry to hear about your Explorer. Can you tell me if they gave you and computer codes from the light coming on? Does it only stall when coming to a stop? Does it feel more like the key is just turned off or does it start misfiring first before it stalls?