Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

I have a 2007 Ford F150 Lariat. Bought it 2 months ago from

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Ford F150 Lariat. Bought it 2 months ago from CarMax & they've had it the majority of the time due to a gas smell, but only when it is idling or when you stop for a light or a stop sign. There is no smell outside the vehicle, only inside. It's been worked on by CarMax & this last visit it went to a major Ford dealership, via CarMax, & they determined it was the spark plugs not being tight that was causing the issue. Picked it up today & it was fine for about 20 miles, then, when I stopped to make a turn, there was the smell again, thru the vents, strong as ever.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No. CarMax is still hoping to fix the issue, will be on the phone with them again tomorrow. I'm just trying to find whatever I can as my first suggestions, the injectors or the fuel line, they determined were NOT the issue.
JA: OK! The Ford Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: Not that I can think of. I'm the 2nd owner, the 1st was from the Charleston, SC area, if that might make a difference.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.I bet anything they did not tighten all of the spark plugs. They need to remove all 8 plugs, blow the carbon out of the plug well taperseats and clean the taperseats on the plugs. I see 3-4 of these a month for this exact problem. If they don't get the carbon off the sealing surfaces (taperseats) then cylinder compression blow out the carbon from the taperseat and they start leaking again.If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again,If you need further assistance please feel free to reply and we can continue. Otherwise please take a moment to rate my answer as you see fit. After rating, the thread is still available should you need further assistance. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.Thanks,Kenny Z