James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

FORD F-250: Looking Diesel mechanic

Customer Question

Looking for Ford Diesel mechanic
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
Hello, so the vehicle runs until oil plugs the IPR valve?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you a Ford Diesel expert? This is a 2003 6.0L
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
I have worked on these engines since new so I will go with yes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Let me give you some more info. My name is John. I own a independent AAA shop. This truck came in as a crank wont start.
Oil is full, scan tool shows low ICP reading. Pulled IPR and the screen has some metal debris on it and the valve did not function. We replaced the HPOP , ICP, IPR, cleaned everything out and changed the oil. Truck started and idle was smooth. Test drove for about 15 miles and noticed that the truck had low power when you step on it and the turbo wasnt spooling up. Contacted the customer and he said it has a bad turbo and has that problem before. Released the truck and customer drove about 50 miles and then it died again. Got it back to the shop and same issue. No oil pressure. Took out the IPR and the screen was sucked in with metal shavings on it. What would cause this?
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
If you remove the oil filter is it full of metal shavings as well?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, had some small metal particles in it, nothing like the IPR.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have you seen this before?
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
I have a couple of times. Usually it is from the low pressure oil pump. Are you using a Ford oil filter?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, put in aftermarket. Can it be from the HPOP?
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
It very well can be from the oil pump. I haven't seen this from a new HPOP from Ford but from aftermarket companies I have seen this happen.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What would be your repair for this and do to correct this?
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
If the metal shavings are after the filter I would see if you could get the HPOP swapped out under warranty. When the engine runs it runs good correct?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes. other then the turbo. Could the turbo be causing a issue? Could it be sending metal in the system. Have you seen that?
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
The turbo bearing is a brass bushing so it would be gold looking.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We are getting brass mixed in with metal on the IPR.
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
Do you have oil leaking out of the exhaust?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
When a turbo bearing fails you start to leak oil out of the exhaust and also the impeller gets damaged from bouncing around.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I dont want to keep putting this engine back together, by the turbo not working, what stress or damage does that put on the engine? With the info I've given you on this, how would you move forward with this and the customer?
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
On th 03 the turbo has to learn the VGT anytime work is performed. If this isn't done you can have a loss of power. If the turbo has physical damage to the vanes I would replace it. I would have them warranty out the new HPOP because I think it's bad
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We tried to do the relearn on the turbo, and it wont go through the process. I dont see any physical damage on it , it just doesnt boost when you drive it. Customer says its been like that for a while. By the way no codes being set during all of this. Do you think driving it like this is contributing to the oil pressure failure?
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
Driving with low boost shouldn't cause the loss of oil pressure. If the turbo won't learn you could have an issue with the VGT, EBP sensor or map sensor as well.