Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

Hey i just cleaned my air filter and now my car is shaking

Customer Question

Hey i just cleaned my air filter and now my car is shaking when I drive over 25 mph
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That's about it it was bogging down and heisitating when I was driving so I cleaned my air filter and clean my MAF and now it seems to shutter and shake when I drive and the faster I go the worse it gets
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I'm able to yes
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: It had a rough idle also
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
greetings, what is the model, year and engine of the vehicle? how many miles? can you check for trouble code? is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No engine light is on its a 2001 ford Mustang bullit with just over 100k miles on it but the engine itself had less then 30k on it
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
what engine?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
can you look at live data, do you have a scanner?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I do not have a scanner and it is the stock v8 4.6
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
lets start with looking around for any vacuum hoses that might have came loose.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
pcv hose?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
can you check fuel pressure? when was the fuel filter last changed?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
6 months ago and nothing appears to be loose or disconnected could it be a tire issue I had a flat also
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
we need to start with getting the vehicle scanned for trouble codes. there can be codes stored without the check engine light on. many parts places will scan for free. It is possible the MAF sensor is bad and the cleaning did not help. I would also think about checking fuel pressure. If you had a flat and you suspect the tire or front suspension is shaking you should recheck the tire, especially if it was removed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I brought it to a ford dealership how mush would it cost to get it looked at?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
most dealerships will charge 1 hr of diagnosis looking for codes and looking at data and some tests. if they still cannot solve the problem they will stop and advise you more time is needed. Most shops today get about 100$ per hr.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
I have an APP for my Samsung s5 phone. Torque pro, cost 4.99$ off google play. I use it with an ODB2 adapter I bought off e-bay(30$) It will show live data, pull codes and clear codes. Very helpful for the DIYer
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
I highly recommend it for self diagnosis on vehicles 1996 and newer.