Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

2004 6.0 smokes when start it up cold no power loss after running

Customer Question

2004 6.0 smokes when start it up cold no power loss after running and warm clears up . No smoke , smells of unburnt fuel when cold smoke is blue tint .
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That's it smokes when cold drives ok clears up when warm
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have been a mechanic for years , but moved on to turbines and large equipment no time to do it myself , just want an idea of what I'm looking at so have idea of cost and that's it's not hurting anything else
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: Deposit for your info ? What information will I be paying for
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford? PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: 2004 just under 70k on it . What I'm I paying for ?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 10 months ago.
greetings, did you check for any trouble codes? have you replaced the fuel filters lately? have the batteries been check or replaced recently? what repairs have been done to the vehicle?
the 6.0 ford diesel engines use high pressure and High voltage to operate the injectors. They do not handle contaminates too well. By the description you gave I would lean towards dirty injectors giving a poor spray. There a few things that can fail or cause running issues with the 6.0 engine and we can go over them and test. Let me know if you have a scanner and if you know what warranty repairs were done.
Lets start with checking for codes , checking/changing the fuel filters and running some good fuel cleaner through the system.
we can continue as long as needed as you check and respond with what you find.