Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech

Driving along and the car jerks, wrench light comes on, and

Customer Question

Driving along and the car jerks, wrench light comes on, and pressing the gas pedal does not make the car accelerate. Turning it off for a few minutes fixes the issue for a while and then it happens again. I am concerned for my safety as I am driving at highway speeds when this happens.Upvoted (320)Flag inappropriate
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: would like to....on the Rd pulling a 5th wheel
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: well maintained. recently had cold air intake upgrade....4 months ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 months ago.
what year and model is your vehicle and what engine?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2006 ford f250 diesel 6.0
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 months ago.
When the this happens is there a noise like coughing coming from under the hood area? Have you had it scanned for the code being set?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no coughing and no scanning
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 months ago.
does it stall or just sit and idle when you stop before turning it off to restart?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
does not stall....everything seems normal...truck shudders a little prior to wrench illumination. sometime you go 5 miles and it comes on other times 50 miles and no illumination. seems to o lyrics happen on highway. going thru Ga. started happening upon entering Georgia hills.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 months ago.
It sounds like you have fuel delivery problem, this could be as easy as changing the fuel filter, but most likely the fuel pump is starting to fail and cannot produce enough pressure under load. I would recommend a fuel filter change before replacing the fuel pump though. I would strongly advise against driving it till you get it fixed, as low fuel pressure can seriously damage the injectors.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
just had filters replaced about 1500 miles fuel pump replacement a DIY job or a shop job
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
so you don't think it is throttle body?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 months ago.
No, these engine do not use a throttle body, Fuel pump replacement is best left to a qualified shop as special tools are required to disconnect the fuel lines. Before replacing any parts, I would strongly recommend you have it scanned to see what code is setting the CEL on, this will give a definitive direction for diagnosis.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks for your help!!!!
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome, thanks for using JustAnswer. Please accept and rate me.