Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

I have a 2004 heritage f-150 with no acceleration/ power. It

Customer Question

I have a 2004 heritage f-150 with no acceleration/ power. It runs fine at idle and once up to speed.
JA: Proper acceleration is so important to a safe drive. Luckily the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the information you need to get this figured out ASAP. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It will not even pull the slope on the drive though
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes, I replaced several things already
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, it shut down because it snapped the crank shaft bolt and the harmonic ballenver worked off.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: most of the way off, so I replaced the position sensor in case it was hit by the reluctor
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
greetings, how many miles? did you check for any stored trouble codes? Do you have a scanner to look at live data?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
I did see a mustang one time with an after market balancer that the customer installed that got loose. The RPM signal was all over the place on the scanner. After replacing the bolt it still was not right. the Tone ring had excessive wear and needed to be replaced. It cause a loss of power.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
the spot where is goes on the woodruff key was worn really bad.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
To replace the exciter/tone ring the timing cover needs to be removed. You might be able to see the condition of the exciter/tone ring with the balancer off. I would also make sure the balancer is not worn, where the woodruff key aligns. I would also replace the woodruff key. Let me know what you find