James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

F-350 gas: my 2008 f-350 will not crank over and the security

Customer Question

my 2008 f-350 will not crank over and the security light is flashing. we cleaned the grounds do you have any other ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
Hello, the flashing security means a theft is detected. If you have a second key to try that is the first thing I would do. If that doesn't fix the concern I would connect a battery charger as low voltage can cause this same issue.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
battery is full and we tried both keys. where would be the best place to check the voltage with this problem?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no communication to dash trip and miles go blank
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
So you are losing communication between the instrument cluster and PCM. That will explain why the vehicle isn't starting. Communication concerns require a multi meter to diagnose.
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
With the key off measure pin 6 and 14 at the data link connector and you should have 60ohms. Is this correct?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok I used an ohm meter on the obd2 data link counted the holes from top left to right on 6 and 14 and I got an ohm reading of 121
Expert:  James replied 7 months ago.
121 ohms means the vehicle isn't being seen by either the PCM or the instrument cluster. I would make sure the PCM connections are secured first and retest. If you disconnect the PCM and still get 120 ohms then the PCM is going to be what is causing the issue.