A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Ford explorer sport trek: I have a 02 Ford Explorer Sport Trek,

Customer Question

I have a 02 Ford Explorer Sport Trek, the right rear turn signal / brake light is not working. I've replaced the bulb and the socket both of which didn't help. After this I took the left socket and attached it to the right pig tail and visa versa and the right socket worked on the left and the left didn't work on the right. I took a multi meter to the sockets and though I did get some voltage on the right only about 10% of the high number I got on the left. Not sure where to go next.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 10 months ago.
Does the parking light work ok on the right rear?Do you have a factory trailer harness adapter or an aftermarket one?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The back up light works fine, not sure if that's the parking light. Trailer harness is factory.
Go to the dash fuse box and check the voltage at fuse #3, a 7.5 amp fuse with the brake lights of right turn signal on. We need to narrow down the high resistance in the circuit.Please let me know what the voltage is at that fuse. Check both sides of the fuse please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok will do give me five min.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
In the cab right? Not under the hood?
Yes, under the dash. Take you time. I will be on line till 11 PM EST.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
fuse 3 is a 10 amp fuse. I'm looking at the panel on the side of the dash just inside the door. Is there another one?
It should be a 7.5 amp fuse. See the diagram below.Fuse 7 should also be a 7.5 amp fuse.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, it was a 10 in mine. I put one probe in each port and hit the brakes and the right signal and got no voltage. With the fuse out the brake lights worked and the front blinker flashed fast so i don't think its the right fuse. I've had this trouble in the past with parts not being correct in some of the literature.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Fyi manufacture date is 02/02, from the door sticker, and the fuse diagram states for before 2/18/02 so it may be the next version. Not sure how that works.
This is from the factory shop manual we use at the Ford dealership on the Ford factory website for technicians.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't know how the read that. Should the lights work with the fuse out? I know that the dealership give me the wrong hub once.
the lights will work with the fuse out. The fuse is for the trailer adapter. I am looking for the high resistance causing the low voltage and the fuse is the middle of the circuit. If the voltage is low at the fuse, then we look another direction.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did I test it correctly putting a prob in each fuse port or is there another method
Yes, what is the voltage a those points when you have the brake lights or right turn signal on?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
+/- 0.5 volts
And that is about the same you got at the right rear tail light?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no, +4 volts and it isn't bouncing back and forth between negative and positive like at the fuse. I checked this without the fuse in and with the brake lights and signal on.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
but it is bouncing between 0 and 4 volts
Turn the right turn signal on and tilt the steering column full up and then full down slowly and have someone watch the right rear turn signal. See if the light starts working properly. We have see the pins come loose from the turn signal switch connector on the back of the turn signal switch. See the diagram below. C202a
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no effect
You will need to remove the trim panels from the steering column and inspect the wiring to the connector and look for loose wires at the connector. Sometimes they will slide in when tilted down or up and make contact.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I removed the covers and inspected the wires entering the switch base. It doesn't look like anything is moving in relation to the anchorage when I move the column up and down. Is there a way so remove the control lever without blowing the air bag in my face to check it further. I can't see much as it is.
The switch has 2 screws that hold it. They come in from the left side.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i removed the switch and removed the "plug" from the switch and all of the wire appear to be tight.
Lets check the switch. Plug it back in, but yo do not have to mount it into place. Then check the voltage at the fuse again while wiggling the switch handle with the right turn signal on. See if the voltage changes. It could be bad contact in the switch.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
With the right turn signal on I wiggled the handle, the plug, and the wires entering the plug and got no change. Voltage bounced between +/- 0.5
We will need to slowly unplug connectors while monitoring the voltage at the fuse, but it is getting late here on the East coast and I have to get up early for work tomorrow. We can continue this tomorrow evening.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will have to find out if I can use the garage tomorrow. And I won't get an answer tonight. I'll find out tomorrow morning and let you know. Good night
Good night. I'll get an email when you reply back.