Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Clunking sound in oil pan JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam

Customer Question

clunking sound in oil pan
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Ford Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Oil was way low I thought I heard the rockers clunking, I refilled the oil with 5W-20. It seemed to help but driving to work I heard it again. Folks at AutoZone told me its in the bottom and before I drove home (5 miles) the clunk became a loose part sound in the pan. I eased the truck into the driveway where nit sits no
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I relalize to open the drian pan to do a visual inspection I will need to back off the transmission, undo the starter, disconnect the transmission, remove the mounting bolts anf lift the engine about 2-3 inches. I done stuff like this before. I have even changed out a transmission on a 1993 Ranger manual transmission
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: It used to be a fleet vechicle and the last time I checked the oil was three months ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Most likely a connecting rod or main crank bearing has failed.This will cause this noise here and is common to fail rapidly with a lack of oil and can eventually break or wear thing to cause more of a noise and in some cases even work its way out between the crank shaft and connecting rod.Unfortunately the only way to be sure is to have the engine oil pan removed to inspect the bearings to locate the source of the fault then determine from there if it can be repaired or if the crank and rod need replaced with bearings or if the engine needs a complete replacement. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is the general cost for checking out the truck
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Depending on the year and model and engine size this can range around $200 to $300 to have inspected to determine what needs replaced or what needs repaired for this issue here. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete