EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have a 1999 ford windstar sel 3.8L van. It is not

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 1999 ford windstar sel 3.8L van. It is not starting. When the key is turned over, the lights come on the dash and all electrical systems are working, but there is no sound coming from the starter. No clicking or winding sounds. Could it be the starter and/or solenoid, or could it possibly be a relay?
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Ford Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just looking.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: For the last couple days, it would not start and then after sitting for a period of time (couple hours) it would then start.but as of last night it hasn't started.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 7 months ago.
Hi. Most common it is the starter itself. THe solenoid is part of the starter. You can verify that with a test light on the small wire of the starter. And also sometimes the small wire on the starter makes a poor contact. Try wiggling that wire around from the front underneath and see if the van starts.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. Thank you. I'll try that right now. Will I be able to keep contact with you?
Yes this chat will stay open. Try that and let me know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. Thanks.
Have you checked out the starter and starter wire yet?