Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

F350: I have an 87 ford F350 RV doing some strange things.

Customer Question

I have an 87 ford F350 RV doing some strange things. At idle it flutters to the point where it sometimes stalls out. It starts up just fine and seems to go down the road. I have had the carb rebuilt by a fellow with many years in the business. He replaced the choke mechanism which seems to be electrically stimulated to operate. I am not sure if a wire was attached to the choke or not. I have found two potential wires which would reach the choke but neither has any power coming to it with the key on. I am wondering if you could tell me what identifying colours would tell me which of these wires should work and how can I test to get power to it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.Your choke gets its power from the field wire from the alternator on the white/black wire so it only receives power once the engine is started and the alternator is charging. . Start with checking the White/Black (W/BK) wire at the alternator connection and check the circuit to verify it is not open running between the alternator (S-terminal) and the electric choke. This wire should have voltage on it with the engine running from the alternator to the choke.