Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

I have a 2000 Ford Focus SE Wagon. Not long after I bought

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Ford Focus SE Wagon. Not long after I bought it new, there was a recall of the rear bearings. I have since replaced them 2-3 times. The last time being Jan. 2014. I've only driven the car 8800 miles, since, and it looks like one of them has failed, again. Why are the bearing so prone to failing and/or wearing out so quickly?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, I will be taking it to an independent auto repair shop.
JA: OK! The Ford Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right.
Customer: The last time they were replaced, was when I was having new rear brakes installed.
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: I live in Minnesota, where we salt the roads in winter, if this makes any difference. I would believe the bearings are sealed. (?)
JA: Huh?
Customer: I mention it, because that was supposedly why Ford recalled the original bearings that came with the Focus.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Things which are known causes for repeat rear wheel bearing failure:Spindle damaged from excess brake heat, road impacts, and overloadingBrake drum damaged from wear, or brake overheating, or from improper bearing removal and installation.Aftermarket bearings usedSpindle water seal failurewarped drumInstalled incorrect using the wrong tools. This is the most common reason. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris