HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

We have Lincoln Navigator 2012 and the key will not come out

Customer Question

We have Lincoln Navigator 2012 and the key will not come out when we put it in park
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Ok when we turn off the 2012 Lincoln Navigator put it in park the key will not come out
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Maybe
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.
Hello this is most likely an issue with the transmission shifter itself. When the trans is placed in park its supposed to send a signal to the steering column to allow the ignition tumbler to rotate back to the release position. The repair would be to replace the transmission shifter as an assembly if it is a floor shifter in the center console
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This doesn't tell me how to fix it the dealership said the same thing
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.
You would have to disassemble the center console to gain access to the complete floor shifter mechanism. Disconnect the transmission shift cable from the shifter, unplug the electrical connectors to the shifter. remove the 4 bolts that hold the shifter to the floor to remove the shifter. Reverse disassembly to reinstall the shifter. it comes as a complete shifter.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.
Hello, do you need more help or information?