AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2000 ford ranger 3.0. No start, but acts like it wants to

Customer Question

2000 ford ranger 3.0. No start, but acts like it wants to some times. Fuel pressure 60 psi, has new crank sensor, plugs have good spark, was only able to plug in a noid light into two injectors and flashed like it should. I have tried to put gas into the intake and crank it try's to start and back fires at the same time. I looked at the crank sprocket and it looks great. Sounds like a timing issue and that's controlled by pcm so do I need to replace it
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Does the engine run on starting fluid if you disable the fuel system?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It try's to start but then starts back firing
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.
Ok, have you checked engine compression?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. The trk was running fine acouple of weeks ago but had a fuel leak took it in but they sad it needed a pump they installed it. About a week later started running rough then got to a no start condition
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.
Does the check engine light go off while cranking?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 10 months ago.
Ok, the problem has got to be ignition or valve timing. If the ignition and valve timing are correct, it should be able to start and run on starting fluid if you disable the fuel system (fuel pump connector or injector connectors) hands down. However, since it does not, then it is going to be related to ignition or valve timing. I would recommend to check engine compression as it may have jumped time