Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I would like to shap engines from 2000 ford 7.3 4/4 w/ auto

Customer Question

I would like to shap engines from 2000 ford 7.3 4/4 w/ auto trans with 2002 ford 7.3 4/4 auto trans w/ 125000 miles , 02 was totaled bent frame finally found high milage extended cab long bed very similar to 02 but transfur cases are different . ? is how much of 02 will interchange w/ 2000 both have same body still interior etc. 2000 has 350000 miles on it , it was sick , has oil leak , may be main seal I changed fuel filter, block heater , tires brakes and did some front end repairs . Now it runs and drives well. Also have 2000 ford that was rolled , it's complete but crewcab long bed and starts runs O.K. ? sounds fine.?? Please advise me on best avenue to pursue I don't know much about the other 2000 wreck other than it has 235000 miles on it w/ Banks turbo and synthic oil sticker on it. That is a mouth full to consider , please share thoughts .
JA: It's only $5. An oil leak can be frustrating and tough to diagnose. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I have had experience , have shop striped 02 down to frame motor and trans still in frame Worked as diesel field mechanic on heavy equipment and hobby at restoring Willys jeep trucks, Now I'm 67 yrs old but some times have help in training.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried buying 4 different trucks and plan to sell spare parts , experienced paint and body , engine overhauls frame up rebuilds & do most maintance on personal vehicles.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Am I crazy?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist the 2000 and 2002 blocks are the same. the harness numbers are different which makes me believe there is some difference in the engine controls and sensors. I would suggest that in order for this to work, you will need to change the engine, trans, complete wiring harness and pcm, which will have to be flashed to the truck, and you should use the transfer case from the donor as that is matched to the harness. Roy
Customer: replied 1 month ago.