6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.
63005990

I have a 2012 Ford F150 4WD EcoBoost, when I turn on the A/C

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Ford F150 4WD EcoBoost, when I turn on the A/C I don't have any of the cooling fans come on until the high side pressure reached around 300psi and I think it's the high speed fan. When I turn on the A/C should I have 1 or 2 fans come on and should it be the right or left side. I've checked the fuses and can't really do much past that without your help.
HELP!
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** vehicles use the processor to determine when the cooling fans should run, not like the old days when ac on meant the fan would run immediately. Can you tell me what the actual problem is that your chasing? Does the AC malfunction, or the engine overheat? James
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I turn on the A/C none of the fans come on until the high side pressure gets up over 300psi and then only one of the fans comes on, It's the low speed fan that comes on but only stays on for a short time. I would think the low speed fan would come on when idling in park, it needs some air flow to keep the pressure in check.
Expert:  6Bucs replied 7 months ago.
So far that sounds like it's operating as designed. Does the ac continue to work? Does the engine overheat? Any warning lights on? I want to make sure I am not missing anything. What made you want to check the AC pressures? Like I said before, to optimize fuel economy the PCM will monitor AC pressure, engine coolant temp, and load and only turn on the high speed fan when absolutely necessary. The high speed fan is actually not programmed to operate that often under normal conditions. James.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I guess it was just me thinking that at least one of the fans should come on when the A/C is turned on, I've never seen a vehicle that the pressure on the high side of the A/C goes up to over 300psi before the fan comes on.
Expert:  6Bucs replied 7 months ago.
I see. A couple of years back, when the ac was turned on, this meant automatic high speed fan operation. If the ac is cooling properly, the engine coolant level and condition are correct, and there is no overheating issues, it sounds like the system is working as designed.James.