Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

Diesel/exhaust smell in cab at idle, had y pipe and exhaust

Customer Question

Diesel/exhaust smell in cab at idle, had y pipe and exhaust replaced still having same issue
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Exhaust diesel smell in cab at lidle
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I would like to just spent 1600 dollars at dealership and have the same issue
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 months ago.
What year is your truck please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2004 ford excursion
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 months ago.
Did they replace both pipes?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
To the best of my knowledge and did the whole exhaust system seems to have a strong smell on drivers side under hood
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 months ago.
Check the driver side manifold, the bolts will work lose and then the gasket will blow out and cause a small leak.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I heard that gaskets were not installed upon manufacturing
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 months ago.
The early models didn't use the gaskets and were prone to the bolts breaking off and letting the manifold leak, you should be able to see black soot around wherever it is leaking.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What size are the bolts
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 months ago.
The bolts are 8mm with a 10mm hex head, sometimes you can get away wit just snugging them up if they are just loose.