6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.
63005990

Focus zx4: 06 ford focus zx4 2.0L While driving or at a stop

Customer Question

06 ford focus zx4 2.0L
While driving or at a stop light car surges and battery light sometimes comes on then the dash shuts off, as if I turned off the car, it last for maybe 45 seconds to a minute, then dash comes back on as if I turned the key and cranked the engine, gauges and lights come on, but engine never shuts off while this happens. This happens at least once every other day. Changed out cables and battery. Can this be the alternator?
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is***** alternator can cause the problem you are experiencing. Do you have a voltmeter for some basic electrical testing?James
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  6Bucs replied 7 months ago.
Ok, great! So it sounds like maybe the vehicle has to be driven for a little while to act up. Do your best to recreate the same situation where the problem occurs...like if you usually drive 5 miles or so before it happens, then let the engine warm up to operating temperature first. If you can actually drive it until it start acting up, that would be ideal. Turn your meter onto DC volts. Touch the red positive lead to the positive battery post and the negative lead to the negative. Monitor the voltage. When working properly, the meter should read 13.1 to 14.1 volts or so. If readings are normal, try turning on the ac, or the high beams to load up the charging system. Let me know what you find. With a new battery and cables, if you find the voltage on the meter drops to 12 or below, the alternator should be replaced.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Brought up to operating temp, but didn't dive it around, when I put a load on the system, head lights, a/c the volts drop to and fluctuate between 13.7 to 13.9. Without a load it stays at 14.1... I'll drive it to work later and test it again.
Expert:  6Bucs replied 7 months ago.
Sounds good. It's important to make sure to test it when the problem is actually occurring, otherwise test results will be inconclusive.James.