EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified

2003 Ford Expedition. No start. The starter relay has power

Customer Question

2003 Ford Expedition. No start. The starter relay has power but the ecm is not grounding the other side of the coil. There seems to be an issue with the security module. Do these go bad or is there a pickup ring in the steering column like GM cars.
It has a new PCM and I programmed two keys but maybe the keys did not take. Does the Ford PCM programmer recognize whether the key is valid or not?
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 6 months ago.
Hi. When you turn the key to the RUN position, what does the theft light do? It will either turn on for 3 seconds then go off. Or it will blink rapidly. Which one happens?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It may be burned out. I do not see the security light do anything.
That is definatly a problem. It would be worth replacing the bulb if you think that the light may be burned out. If that light is not coming on then the truck will not start. That is why there is no grounding of relay.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I got it cranking. I found another connector that was not completely pushed together. Therefore, the data from the security module was not getting to the PCM. Now it seems the fuel pump may have a problem. Power to it but it does not run.
Ok. You can try to supply your own power and ground to see if it will run. Otherwise you may be correct and you need to replace the pump.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 5 months ago.
THanks for viewing my response to you. Do you have more questions on this? Please rate my service positively and let me know. Thanks.