Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

Have a 2003 ford f250 super duty 6.0 diesel when i accelerate

Customer Question

have a 2003 ford f250 super duty 6.0 diesel when i accelerate and decelerate i here a sucking sound coming from air in take at air cleaner and it will puff black smoke when it does this sound. does not do anything at hwy speed once i get up to it. put in new air filter this morning still making the same sounds when i take off or let off the gas. no sensor or engine lights on
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if i can
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 months ago.
Do you have a cold air intake kit on your truck?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not sure all I see is where the air filter is a big hose leading from there to the top of the engine see the mass flow sensor. It's stock 6.0 nothing modified
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 months ago.
does it take the original ford air filter?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 months ago.
Okay then it doesn't have a cold air kit. Most likely the problem is the unison ring and vanes in the variable geometry turbo are sticking, this causes the boost to be pushed back out the intake and make the sound you are hearing, and since the turbo isn't adjusted properly you are seeing smoke from over fueling. To repair this you need to remove the turbo and inspect and clean the housing and unison ring, pay close attention to the ring, especially where the actuator pins sits, it will wear a small indent and that is where it hangs up. If it is badly pitted and rusty, you will have to replace the turbo. Le me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do you clean tubo with and or vayves. Chemical brush what thx
Expert:  Ray M. replied 7 months ago.
I use a die grinder with a 3M ad attachment and some 600grit wet/dry sandpaper. I must caution you though most times it is the unison ring that has a grove worn in it, that is the problem. The ring cn be bought separately though, as long as the housing isn't badly pitted from rust.