EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

2005 Ford freestyle with check engine and wrench light. Throttle

Customer Question

2005 Ford freestyle with check engine and wrench light. Throttle body and tps were cleaned or replaced and same issue with failsafe mode on dash.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: No acceleration and bad idle
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Car has 99,000 miles
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Yes
JA: What else should I tell the Ford Mechanic?
Customer: That should be everything.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 7 months ago.
Hi. First, was the throttle body cleaned or replaced? It makes a difference in diagnosis. Also What are the codes in the computer that are now stored?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Throttle body was replaced. Codes are with tps and throttle open position.
What is common on the freestyle is chaffing of a harness that usually sets TPS codes. On the passenger side of the vehicle under the hood, the wiring harness runs around the back of the engine compartment. The harness comes really close to the ac line. On many occasions I have found this harness chaffed though on the ac line. Grab the harness and flip it around and take a good look at it. If chaffed you would see the wires in the harness and maybe even some copper wire sticking through if you look close. Can you check that and then let me know?
Have you checked that harness where I mentioned? Done anything else?
Let me know. If you are all set then rate me positively. Thank you.
I see you viewed my response on 4/28/2016 at 8:53:05 PM 1 day(s) ago. Any reason you have not rated my service or responded to my post?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Probably because still troubleshooting and still not running. Nothing wrong with the wiring harness.
What are the exact code numbers that are coming up?