A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

I have a 2005 F150 with a tilt steering wheel and my son has

Customer Question

I have a 2005 F150 with a tilt steering wheel and my son has managed to get the tilt lever off and the steering wheel is locked in the full up position. is there a diagram on how to re-install / replace it
JA: Many things can cause steering issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: just start looking for the directions
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: I just want the instructions I an engineer that has worked on all of them
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 6 months ago.
The tilt lever clips onto the bracket to the left side of the steering column. You will have to look underneath the column through the steering column trim panel near the dash. There is a square bracket it clips onto with no screws or bolts. Position it into the bracket just behind it and pull the lever towards the seat to get it to clip back into place.