Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Ford f150: Hey, This is Charlie, have used just ask before

Customer Question

Hey, This is Charlie, have used just ask before to fix tv. I'm going to have a series of auto air questions related to my f-150 1997 4.6.
The system is still cooling, it wold say about eight years ago had the whole system replaced by an ac repair shop. I'm original owner.
about six months ago the clutch started eng/dis engaging and I didn't do anything until now. I replaced the high side switch, seemed to help for a day. I bought a manifold meter set, I believe the low side was ok, and the high side was high. I ended up completely recharging the system with 2 Lbs of coolant, pressures were fine after charge 40 on low 200 on high. within a day i'm seeing the low side with the meter reading pegged (highest pressure reading.
When I recharged the system i held the cans upside down which have since learned let fluid into system rather than gas.
I've bought a new compressor just because the clutch/compressor is making quite a bit of noise, I assume due to the eng/dis issue over last six months.
I thought about checking the orifice tube, not sure of its exact location. coolant seems clean, not black/dark. I wanted to hold off replacing the compressor until I return home next week (working in SC, home in FL).
So will probably have questions over the next week.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. If the old compressor has started to fail metal makes its way from the compressor into the orifice filter and causes the higher pressure readings as well as the compressor noise.The best thing to do is to remove the freon,locate and replace the orifice filter and flush the ac lines with an ac flush from a parts store this way you remove the metal from the lines as to not damaged the new compressor.Then replace the compressor making sure you add about 2 ounces of oil to the compressor before installing it.Add the oil to the compressor ports then rotate by hand before you install the compressor the front clutch on the compressor to work the oil in it.Then install it and re charge the ac system.The A/C orifice is located in the condenser to evaporator tube.This is the line that connects between the ac condensor and evaporater.It will look like this here. This tool is needed If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Pete, I will probably wait till I get home next week, I have a shop/barn I can do the work in. Don't want to do the flush here at my buddies house. I may take a peek at the orifice, but will probably not use the ac until after flush\replacement, don't want to cause any other problems if i can avoid it. When they replaced sys last time they called the system a black bomb (i think).
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Your welcome.If you find any metal in the filter,lines or compressor make sure you flush the lines out to prevent new compressor failure. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete