Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

Go away I have a Honda and you are blocking my screen JA:

Customer Question

Go away I have a Honda and you are blocking my screen
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have a 2007 Honda Accord. Btw my husband is driving me to work in 84 ford pickup. I tried to start my car with another cars key. Now my key does not turn the engine. Lights come on though
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Locking the steering well turning right to left and tried valet key
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: No its not a ford
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello I paid the money
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Scam?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Helllllllllloooooooo I'm freaked out
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am sorry you are having trouble with your Honda, Hopefully I can help with it. I noticed you said you tried to start it with a different car's key? did you just put it in the ignition or were you able to turn the key as well like you were starting the car? Thanks Sonny
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can turn it enough for the lights radio etc but stops short of turning over the engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used the valet key and main key both the same
So I get from the original post that you used a key for a different car at one point?
is that correct or did you just use 2 different keys for the same car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes to start with
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First key was wrong jey
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Key
Were you able to turn the key with the wrong key or just put it in but not able to turn it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think so
was it another Honda key for a different Honda?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
chevrolet
gotcha. On your Honda, with the correct key, you can turn it to the acc. position? or on position? or all the way to start but it just doesn't start or turn over?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No my key stops short on the last click that starts the engine
Unfortunatly it sounds like there is something internally wrong with the lock cyl. of the key switch. does it turn easy up to that point? and I am assuming that the gear shifter is in park?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The steering wheel was not locked because I got out of the car quick. I turned it and locked it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was working fine 10 hours ago until I put in wrong key
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it turns easy up till the last position
It is possible that one of the tumblers in the lock cyl. got damaged by putting the wrong key in it and now it won't turn all the way because of that. you can try to put a LITTLE more pressure on the turning of the key, but not too much or things can be damaged worse. if that doesn't work you will need a locksmith to take the lock cylinder apart to repair it or have Honda replace it all together. I am sorry, I wish this was something that could be fixed at home, but unfortunately it won't be able to be.
at least not with out the proper tools. a scanner/programmer and locksmith tools.
If it would turn to the start position but not start then at least we know the lock cylinder would be ok. It would just be a matter of having a tech come and clear the codes in the immobilizer unit. with is read thru the key cylinder. but since it wont turn all the way it is a problem with the lock cylinder. I am truly sorry. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible the anti theft system has been activated and will start later. Can a lock smith fix this
Unfortunatly the antitheft system does not make it so you can't turn the switch to start. It just prevents the signal from going thru the computer and going to the starter. Does the red security light flash or go out when you turn the ignition switch to the on position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
yes it flashes or yes it goes out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there
yes I am here
did my question come thru the one about whether it flashes with the key on or whether it goes out with key on? the red security light that is
If it still flashes when you turn it to the on position then it has a code stored and you can try having a lock smith clear it or have the dealer clear it. however this really shouldn't affect the key switch turning all the way. However if it doesn't flash but rather shuts off then there is no problem there and the only recourse would be to have a lock smith fix the key cylinder or Honda replace it all together. I hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you. If not can you rate the service I provided. Thanks Sonny
was this at all helpful?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The key now fully engaged into the switch but will not turn the engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before it would not go all the way in
So it will push all the way in but still won't turn to the start position? It still sounds like something is messed up inside the lock cylinder. You can try spraying wd-40 into the lock cyl. And jiggling the key in and out and turning it several times to see if that will help loosen anything up inside the cyl.
did that help at all?
Are you still needing help with your Honda? If not and I have helped, would you mind rating my service? Thanks sonny
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 12 months ago.
Have you been able to fix your honda's ignition cylinder?