roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Had problem 1993 explorer with 4.0 L started running snotty

Customer Question

Had problem 1993 explorer with 4.0 L started running snotty aka(shitty) looked around couldn't detect problem then found wire #6 was not connected it was still sparkin when close to spark plug put it on ran fine but wire was brittle. Today changed plugs and wires worked fine added freon to ac ran great idling but once mom took off the truck died on her bout 2 blocks away ever since then the engine been running shitty checked plugs and wires nothing lose the gap calls for .052 to .056 so I put it on .055 ran great . My question is since we don't know how long the wire was disconnected could theoretically the,ignition coil have messed up and is making it run shitty
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes ma'am
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed plugs and wires looked for any hoses that migh b disconnected couldn't find anything wrong with it . That's y I need info if it could b the ignition coil or perhaps the engine control module
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Only that when we,put new freon in a/c lasted bout 10 min b4 started running snotty
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist yes, I would replace the coil. from all the arcing, the coil was asked to put out 100% plus in voltage and this will cause it to fail. I would start there and that most likely is your failure Royplease dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts Roy
Expert:  roy replied 11 months ago.
how are you making out