Matt C.
Matt C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Automotive Technician

Taurus: I have a 2005 Ford Taurus that recently started experiencing

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus that recently started experiencing electrical problems. While running and driving down the road, the speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, and temperature gauge all stop working, the needles drop to 0, the battery light comes on, the fasten seatbelt light comes on, it makes a dinging noise, the electric windows won't work and appears to lose some power, but still drives. This problem will come and go, as the above symptoms will manifest, then go away and everything works normally for a few seconds and then the symptoms reappear for a bit and go away again. Can you please give me a starting point on where to go to fix this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt C. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I would like to see if I could provide you with a little direction on this problem. What you are describing sounds much like an alternator that is beginning to fail. I would start by putting a voltmeter on the battery terminals with the car running and turn your high beams and blower motor on high and see what the reading is. You will want to see something around 13.5V+. I would also recommend having the battery tested to make sure it does not have a bad cell. This would be the best place to start. You can check those and get back to me if they check out to be good.