A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I need to replace the front left seat belt retractor assembly

Customer Question

I need to replace the front left seat belt retractor assembly on my 2006 ford explorer. I have the tools and parts. How do you remove the plastic cover from around the top torx bolt? There doesn't appear to be a way to do it without breaking it...
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: All trim removed except the upper bolt cover
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 7 months ago.
Below are the directions for removing the seat belt retractor. You will have to remove the lower trim panel between the two doors before you remove the upper trim panel. There is a bolt behind the small trim panel where the seat belt goes into the upper panel. It is about 1" square.