A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2001 mercury sable. Theft light flashing. Won't start. Any

Customer Question

2001 mercury sable. Theft light flashing. Won't start. Any ideas
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My son tried to start it this am. No go. I cleaned battery Posts and cables. Also cleaned ground to body
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Ford Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Not at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 7 months ago.
How many keys do you have for the Sable?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think my son on had one. It does show wear. 176,210 miles
The keys for your Sable have a little chip in them that the vehicles modules need to read to allow the engine to start. If it does not see the chip, the vehicle will not start and the THEFT light will flash rapidly when you turn the key to on. M<ore than likely it is a bad key. You local locksmith could make you a new one and program it. They can even test the vehicle to make sure that is the problem. But the keys will need to be programed to the vehicle with the proper computer to allow the vehicle to start.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I called a mobile locksmith, hope that works
Please keep me informed. You can reply back on this page. I'll get an email when you do.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Guy got here. CSR had blown fuse I missed, changed it and it started, I wonder what shorted it out
CSR? What fuse #?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
40 amp, I don't have a manual, he said it was for computer power supply
Was it in the under hood or under the dash fuse box? I have access to the diagrams and manuals.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Under hood next to battery, bottom row #4 spot, I put another in and it stsrted
See the diagram below.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
#107
That fuse is for the starter and the ignition switch. You may want to have the starter checked for internal shorting.