Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2004 Ford Explorer XLT has random non start. Battery is good

Customer Question

2004 Ford Explorer XLT has random non start. Battery is good and door locks, radio work but the engine won't turn over. Randomly the next time I try to start it it will start fine for mayben even a couple of days.....don't know where to look.
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: just making sure it is not the battery or charging system. At first I thought it might be a dead battery because the first time it happened my wife had it jump started and it started fine.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.
HEllo and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through thi diagnoses? What size engine do you have?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
4.0 L. SOHC
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hoping to find something simple with your advice.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for that information. Have you checked the starter? Have you checked for power down to the starter motor? If not, this would be the next step. It is possible that you just have a bad starter motor.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It will start fine for a couple of days and then randomly not even engage the starter
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.
YUP! A bad starter motor can definitely cause this condition.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is the best way to test that?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.
With a voltmeter. Just check for battery voltage on both terminals of the starter with the key in the CRANK position when this happens. If both terminals have power with the key in the CRANK position and the starter is not activating, the starter motor is bad and will need to be replaced.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.
Here is a wiring diagram of the starting circuit.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.
I am glad I can help! It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions.