Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master

I can smell gas outside my 2012 escape xlt when I park. No

Customer Question

I can smell gas outside my 2012 escape xlt when I park. No smell on inside.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: thats about it, my gas milage hasn't changed and no warnings on the display.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if possible
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 months ago.
greetings, is the check engine light on? do you notice the smell more after filling up?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 months ago.
I will check for any bulletins
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 months ago.
there is a recall for the 2013 escapes for a fuel line leaking. I would call the dealer and see if your vehicle is included, they do expand the vehicles involved in recalls and TSB'S.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 months ago.
They do have other recalls on these vehicles and I have done a few of them . I would not drive the vehicle because it could go on fire.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 6 months ago.
I would not drive ,at least before verification If this vehicle is included in the fuel line recall. There are other things that could cause a fuel smell that would not be as dangerous. The vehicle has an evaporative emissions system that recovers fuel vapor and stores it, there could be a fault in that system. Let me know if the check engine light is on and if you can get the vehicle checked for any stored trouble codes. most parts places will check for codes for free. You could look under the hood and under the back of the vehicle to see if there are signs of fuel leaking, just to safe.