EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

When filling tank gas comes out the top of the tank and runs

Customer Question

when filling tank gas comes out the top of the tank and runs down onto the ground right before pump shuts off then it continues to leak for about a min. I am thinking its the vent valve because i continue to smell gas unti the tank gets down about half empty.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet trying to narrow it down
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: 5.4l single tank RWD
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 7 months ago.
Hi. What kind of Ford is this?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
F250 Crew LB 2wd 5.4L single tank
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2002
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
are you still there?
Ok thanks. If the tank is not venting, it is usually difficult for fuel to enter the tank during filling. But when fuel starts to overflow it usually indicates that there is no backpressure in the tank, which the fueling pump uses to stop flowing into the tank. Have you tried a different fuel filling pump yet? Or does it do it no matter where you get fuel?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
doesnt matter
Ok. Have you looked around the fuel tank and lines and filler neck for any signs of torn vent or evap lines, and checked the filler neck for rotting, any holes in it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes, from what I can see.
is there a hose that comes off the vent valve and attaches back to the filler line?
because right now my vent valve has nothing attached to it.
There should be a vent hose that goes to the top of the fuel tank then to the small line at the filler neck. That is for venting.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
does that come off the vent valve or somewhere else on the tank?
There are 3 valves on the tank. One goes to the fuel filler neck, and 2 go to evap lines which travel up to the front of the truck to the engine.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok, so if there is a valve on the top of my tank that has no hose on it then its safe to say i need to figure out where it goes because they should all be going some where not just venting above the tank correct?
That is correct.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
cool thanks I'll get back under there and figure it out. if they are all connected then I have a bad seal around one or all of them :)
Absolutely. Sounds good. Thank you.
Thank you for letting me assist you and please rate my service. Thank you.
Thank you for letting me assist you and please rate my service. ALso let me know if you have any more questions. Thank you.
Please rate the service positively and let me know if you have further questions.