Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

I have a 2010 fusion and power assist failure sometimes comes

Customer Question

I have a 2010 fusion and power assist failure sometimes comes on.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Ive heard it can be 2000 to fix or can it be reset
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I hope lol
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: When i pull off its done it on occasion 3 times but not all so im thinking it beginning to act up
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Another is it safe to drive
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Does the steering get hard when this happens?

Can I get the VIN number please to check for known issues?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sometimes but ill cut car off put in park then restart and it will be ok.
Vin#3FAHOHA9AR226167

Please double check the VIN# ***** is 17 digits

I was able to figure out the VIN. Ok thanks, ***** ***** checking to see of there were any recalls or warranty for that concern. Unfortunately, I did not see any. Usually for this concern the rack and pinion unit will need replacement to correct. Usually it is still safe to drive, with the worse case being a loss of assist, resulting in manual steering. It might be worth a try to have the dealer perform a calibration reload of the PSCM module and see if the issue returns. It is possibly a software glitch in the module. This usually runs about 1 hour of labor at the dealers rate so it might be worth a shot before spending 2k plus for gear replacement.

Hello again,

If you need further assistance please feel free to reply and we can continue. Otherwise please take a moment to rate my answer as you see fit. After rating, the thread is still available should you need further assistance. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Thanks,

Kenny Z

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again,

I was reviewing some of my older questions and noticed I was never compensated for this question because it was not rated. If it was your intention to not rate me and use my services free of charge then I will accept that as a free service I provided and move on.

Thanks,

Kenny Z