Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

My friend has a 74 mustang. He just dished out $1300 to get

Customer Question

My friend has a 74 mustang. He just dished out $1300 to get it fixed but now it's broken in the same way. The car won't go over 25 mph and takes several tries to get it to start up
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Either fix it myself or go back to the mechanic
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 6 months ago.
Hello, what was the mechanicsdiagnosisand what was replaced?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know, like I said its my friends...
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,If I were you, I would contact the previous repairer.What did they do for $1300?Sounds like a fuel filter/pump supply problem or the ignition timing has shifted severley.Gary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He told me that they made it so that the car would both start and run. Whenever he tried to go over 25 the car would stall and then it would take several tries to et it to start back up again. That's really all I know about it but I was hoping to get an idea on what it could be so I could let him know what to tell the mechanic
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
Ok, if it runs normally, and then cuts out at 25, and then won't restart, but does eventually run, I would say look at the fuel filter for blockage first.What carburetor does your car have?Gary