Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Taurus: I need to locate a cranksheft sensor on a 2003 ford

Customer Question

I need to locate a cranksheft sensor on a 2003 ford taurus
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.
Hi,There are three engine types (all 3.0l) in the 2003 taurus. What is the 8th character of your VIN? It will tell us which engine your car has.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The letter u
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I haven't heard back from you the 8th letter in my vin is u I hope this helps you answer my question about the crank shaft sensor on my 2003 ford taurus
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.
Hi,Sorry, I never heard back from you last night so I thought you had given up and I wasn't able to check in while at the shop today.The crank sensor should be down by the harmonic balancer on this model. Here is a diagram showing it's location. The harmonic balancer is also sometimes called the crank pulley. It is on the front of the engine.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you describe more where the sensor is
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you have to go from under the car or can you reach it from the top
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.
You can only get to it from the bottom, and you may have to remove a plastic flap that covers the underside of the engine. Not all Tauruses have the plastic flap though. Lift the car and then look on the passenger side of the engine from underneath. On the side of the engine between the passenger tire and the engine you will see a large pulley with a belt on it- that is the crank pulley/harmonic balancer. Just above that pulley is the crank position sensor.
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.
This is a different engine but it is in a very similar location. This picture was taken with the engine removed so it will not be as easy to see on your car. I couldn't find a picture of the taurus anywhere.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi again my friend who will be doing the work asked me about the read out that I got at auto zone the guy said it showed the 3rd and 4th cylinder were bad and it had some codes so when he looked up the codes it said crankshaft sensor now why if there is only one crankshaft sensor would it only show two cylinders miss firing
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you send the picture again I saved the email but the picture isn't there anymore
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry for the delayed response. I don't get on here on Sundays and the internet was down at the shop all day. A faulty crank sensor wouldn't generally cause a two cylinder misfire, but I guess it's possible. Do you know which codes Autozone pulled up? I have noticed that autozone has a habit of finding codes that point directly to replacement of parts that they can sell you. Crank sensors, fuel caps, spark plugs, etc.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think it was 316 code but not sure
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.
Oh, well then you don't need a new crank sensor; you need a new coil pack. That's really common on the taurus and would explain the misfires on 3 and 4.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just changed my coil
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.
Because of the codes?Spark plugs too?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I changed the 3rd cylinder plug and it didn't work so I replaced the coil
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.
The p0316 is almost always a bad coil pack, especially if it is accompanied by cylinder misfires. I would probably replace all of the plugs with motor craft plugs, new plug wires, and make sure the new coil isn't defective. Then if it doesn't go away I would perform a head gasket leak test with a block tester. Autozone will loan one to you if you buy the test fluid. You could skip straight to the block test if you are sure the coil, plugs and wires are ok. Bot***** *****ne, if it's not the coil, plugs or wires, then there is a major mechanical problem (like a blown head gasket or bad valves).
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry, my kids are asleep and my house isn't big enough to keep from bothering them while on the phone; I'm not available for a phone call.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I am going to go to auto zone and find out exactly what the read out says and get new plugs and wires so I will be in touch
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.
Ok sounds good. Make sure the plugs are motorcraft brand. Anything else will cause more misfires.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok I have codes for you PO442 PO303 PO304 PO316 what should I do to fix these codes
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.
The p0442 is an evaporative emissions code. It could be anything from a bad gas cap to a torn vent hose to a bad purge valve. You would need a smoke tester to be sure, but you could try replacing the fuel cap and then EVAP vent solenoid if you don't have access to a smoke tester. The P0303, p0304 and p0316 all point to the problem we were discussing earlier- bad coil or bad plugs/wires. Or less likely a bad head gasket.