HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

Hey Brad. I'm ***** *****. I am having an issue with my '04

Customer Question

Hey Brad. I'm ***** *****. I am having an issue with my '04 Expedition. I am hearing a rattling/jingling noise when I accelerate sometimes. It stops when I stop accelerating. My air is also stopping blowing from time to time. I'm not sure if this is related. I've tried turning the air off completely but I still hear the noise. I notice this noise especially when I am accelerating hard/fast and on inclines but also with just regular driving.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The above is about all I can tell you....
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.
Hello, it almost sounds like a spark knock type of noise since its only on accel. Or does it seems like its more of a rattle from the exhaust system?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It seems like it is coming from under the car, not the engine. It sounds almost like aluminum foil blowing in the wind. It's definitely not like something rattling agains something else.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is not a knocking noise at all. I notice it most when I have to really press the gas pedal to pass or incline. It stops as soon as you let off the pedal.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.
Ok if its underneath, it is most likely an issue with the exhaust system, either a loose heat shield or issue with the catalytic convertor coming apart inside. you can get underneath the vehicle and tap on the exhaust system with a rubber mallet and inspect the exhaust for damage and see if you hear any rattling inside the catayltic convertors