Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

The fuel pump relay, fuse, JA: Sometimes things that you

Customer Question

The fuel pump relay, fuse,
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It won't start. It is a fuel problem as it will fire if I spray starting fluid.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I have experiance dioong auto stuff
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I need to know where the fuel pump relay and fuse are.
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: It is a f450 Motorhome.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. What year is your F450? and what engine is in it? 460 gas? thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
V10 Gas 2000
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
alright, Did you happen to check for power at the inertia switch when cranking? I guess I'm wondering how do you know it's the fuel pump relay? Is this the original fuel pump that is in it now?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It won't start. It will filre if I spray starting fluid.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I is the original relay. I don't know where the inertia switch is located
also where is the relay and fuse?
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Alright, Let me get that for you, give me just a few. thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't want a phone call.I need a diagram showing where the fuse and relay are located.
Also where the inirtia switch is located.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
You got it, the inertia switch looks like this,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Pull the passenger side footwell off. (the panel that is just to the right of the passengers right foot.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
You should see the inertia switch behind that panel. Yes I am here. Your seeing this correct?
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Do you have a 12 volt test light or volt meter you can use to check for voltage at the inertia switch when cranking? If you have power there when cranking, then the relay is good the fuse is good, no need to check any of that.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am still here.I will go check the right panel.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a meter to check for voltage.I will be right back
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
alright, take your time. Tell me if the check engine light comes on in the dash with just the key turning on as well.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Check engine light should come on in the dash telling us the Engine Computer is being powered up.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Here is the wiring diagram for your V10. note the PINK/BLACK wire runs straight to the fuel pump from the inertia switch. and GREEN/YELLOW comes from the fuel pump relay.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Any luck with that? If you have power on the GREEN/YELLOW but not the PINK/BLACK when cranking, try pushing the top of the inertia switch DOWN to reset it, or straight wire it with a paper clip temporarily and see if it fires up then.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
I have got to go put a window in and do some brakes this evening. I will check back with you later this evening. Let me know what happens. Thank you.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
The fuel pump relay is behind the radio on that model fyi. on a relay block that looks like this.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
And the radio will have to come out to get to it.