Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4.0 rear wheel drive I changed

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4.0 rear wheel drive I changed the rear drums wheel cylinders and pads the front put new rotors new calipers pads then bleed the brakes when we bleed the brakes we had a nice pedal then when I started the truck the pedal went straight to the floor then we bleed the brakes 3 more times and still the same results I'm stumped. Tom
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Hello Tom, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Are you sure it's not leaking anywhere? any leaks will cause that pedal to drop. I'd shine a flashlight on the rear drums, and on the calipers, make sure everything is DRY, is it not losing any fluid?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried that
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Alright, so it's full of fluid and the fluid isn't going away right? look up under the dash, make sure the master isn't leaking on the inside.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I looked under the dash it looks dry
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Alright, I can't say for sure that the master cylinder went out while you were doing this brake repair, but it is a slight possibility. What I want you to do is this, crack the passenger rear bleeder, (make sure the master is full) and let it sit there and bleed fluid for about a minute straight. then tighten that bleeder up, go to the drivers side rear, do the exact same thing, then passenger front, then drivers front. Worked from the furthest point from the master cylinder and work your way towards the master. let it sit there and drip for a good minute or more if you have plenty of brake fluid. Do you have somebody to help you bleed them or are you by yourself?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Today I'm by myself
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Alright, try that gravity method, There is a vacuum bleeder that some auto parts houses will let you borrow for a deposit you get back when you bring it back, if that doesn't work, I would check and see if they had one before I replaced the master cylinder. It's either got air in it, or the Master went bad. only two logical things it could be in my opinion.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's kinda what I thought I'll try that. Thanks for your help Eddie
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Absolutely, Let me know what happens and if you have any other questions, I would try a vacuum bleeder before replacing the master though. Thank you.