Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Good afternoon. my name is ***** ***** have a 1988 Lincoln town

Customer Question

Good afternoon. my name is ***** ***** have a 1988 Lincoln town car with a 5.0 liter that intermittently stalls at idle, breaks up under load. the vehicle has come to us from another shop. the vehicle has a new distributor and both eec and fuel pump relays. has newer plugs and wires on it. I pulled codes has an 34 evp out of range an 18 no tach or pip signal. I have replaced the tfi connector and repaired eec harness. i back probed the pip lines and the wave form is erratic at best. tested power and grounds at coil,pcm,and engine block. also checked computer ground at the batt terminal. I have my 5 volt ref volt at tps map and evp. the ect is brand new yet i have no coolant temp gauge function. i have wiggle tested harness in engine compartment and even tried wiggle testing under dash. also checked ign switch with know good one. as for the code 34 i backed the evp off and blocked off egr passage to ensure no vaccum leaks. i have 21" of vaccum at map sensor. tested for batt power at coil. tested coil primary resulting .6 ohms spec .3 to 1.0. tested secondary 7500 ohms spec 8k to 11500. checked with new one 7470 so idk if spec is right. also fuel pressure holds at 37 with vaccum unplugged 47. when checking timing found to be at 9 degrees set to 10. i am at a loss any input would be appreciated.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist have you checked the distributor pick up for ohms and voltage??? Roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes we have. also coil, the inline diode etc
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
what was the resistance and voltage on the pick up??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Roy, the tech working on the vehicle is out until Wednesday morning. He wants to have a phone conversation to discuss the vehicle.Will have him pay the fee & connect with you tomorrow.
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
ok, I will be teaching until around this time. then I will be free until late evening Roy