Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

Ford F150: F150. 2009 4.6 triton won't to start all it would

Customer Question

F150. 2009 4.6 triton won't to start all it would do was turn over not start and starter would not disengage until cut key off
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
Greetings, The newer vehicles from ford the starting system is not directly controlled by the ignition switch. they have a strategy and it is controlled by PCM and SJB.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
it is normal for the starter to continue to crank if there is a no start or hard starting issue.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
we need to check what is missing. fuel or spark. let me know if you have any tools. how many miles? what have you checked so far?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
with the ignition key turned to run you should hear the fuel pump. The fuel pump is in the gas tank. To check spark we can pull a coil and either with a tester between the spark plug and coil or just a screw driver held to ground(make sure you hold the insulated part) crank the engine and look for spark.let me know what you find
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Haven't checked anything yet had to go to work so took other vehicle will check when get home after 630 pm central time
Expert:  Ironmike replied 7 months ago.
ok, keep me posted. let me know if you recently filled up and how many miles. you can also check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. if there is a service port or pop off the fuel line. key on we should see fuel. if the pump got jammed sometimes banging on the gas tank will free it and the truck can start.