Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

Have a 1994 ford probe 2.0. Car sat about 9 years. Tried starting

Customer Question

Have a 1994 ford probe 2.0. Car sat about 9 years. Tried starting get no spark... getting fuel. Replaced distributor, coil, all relays under hood, ignition control module, checked both crank and cam signal wires from disty and icm to computer and they are good... out of ideas on what else would cause no spark...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just did...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $24 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The car will throw 1 spark when you turn the key to run. Turn key to off then back to start and will spark 1 time again.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hello I'd replace the crank sensor with a new part as the next step and double check the installed gap between the sensor tip and rotor as it should be about 0.5mm - the sensor is inside the distributor
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The 94 2.0 crank sensor is built into the disty... and it is new...
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hello OK I'd next check that the distributor is actually turning with the engine, by popping the cap off and looking at the shaft whilst rocking the car in gearthen check the condition of the engine earth connections, all must be clean and bright with no corrosion if these are both OK then measure the input wires to the ignition module to confirm it has 12V with the ignition onthis diagram should help
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
distributor turns... grounds are all ok... and tested... 12v is to ignition. used a breakout box and checked resistance to icm, cmp sensor. is less than 5 ohms. checked voltage from pin 56 to pins 40 and 60. when cranking is right at 7 volts. within range.
measured resistance between pin 36 and test pins 37 and 57. and test pin 56 (pip) and test pins 37 and 57 to pins 40 and 60. was greater than 500 ohms.
also measured volts between pin 36 and battery negative and 56 and battery negative and is over 10.5 volts.The car is still throwing only 1 spark from coil when i crank the car to start. the timing is correct. the distributor is in and is new. icm is new.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hello to get only the 1 spark when you crank shows that the coil is getting power but otherwise its not being switchedso as the ignition module is new and getting 12V then it must not be getting triggered by the distributorIf you haven't already then I'd buzz through/ continuity test the wire between the module and the distributor
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My signal wire on coil... yellow with blue line, is not getting pulse from disty... when key is on and plugged in, it is a consistent power...
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
hellothats oddif you disconnect the wire and measure on that pin of the module is it still at 12V ? If so then its possible the new module is faulty
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I unplug it the black with red line is 12v the other wire is dead... went through all data again... tried testing resistance of pin 36 and 26... nothing... then pin 36 and 16,20 and so on like it said and still nothing.... so it said to replace pcm so I ordered one today... will be in by Wednesday or Thursday and I'll try it...
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Understood just get back to me on this post
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
. Got different computer. Still only 1 spark out of the coil. Had icm tested again and is good. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hello I'm going to have to opt out as I don't have any more ideas