Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Ford Ranger truck: 1999 ford ranger, 2.5 liter, 5-speed. Truck

Customer Question

1999 ford ranger, 2.5 liter, 5-speed. Truck will not rev over 3,000 rpm while in gear and driving down the road. Is the rev limiter stuck on? How do I fix this problem?"
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will try to help. If it's in neutral, and your sitting still, does the engine rev up past 3K then?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. If you are a Ford mechanic you should know most of the Rangers have rev limiters in them to protect you form over reving in neutral. That is with an automatic or a manual tranny. The 2.5 liter motor I have in mine should rev to 6,000 rpms in gear while driving down the road. I hit a wall at 3,000. The power band for these 4 cylinders is from 4,500 rpm to 5,500 rpm. Why can I not get there?
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
I didn't think the manual transmissions had a rev limiter. But i'm not 100% on that. Is this the factory exhaust? Have you checked the cat, to see if it was clogged?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Had both of the O2 sensors out of it and the exhaust pipe unbolted. Same thing. Will not go over 3,000 in gear. Coule it be a computer thing???
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Is it setting any codes?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Check engine light is not on. Have not had the codes checked.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, I'd like to see if anything was stored or not. If no codes are stored, and the exhaust isn't clogged, in my opinion it would about have to be the PCM, unless the ignition coil or module is breaking down under load. which is not likely.