HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Ford mustang gt: . 4.6 3v 05 mustang gt, 137,000m, shows

Customer Question

Hi. 4.6 3v 05 mustang gt, 137,000m, shows signs of lack of oil getting to the left valve train area, thoughts? I am replacing the cam phasers due to a knocking sound right in the phaser area at fully warm idle. With the valve covers off I see signs of insufficient oil getting in the drivers side, like extra burnt oil build up and very light scratches on the rocker arm rollers. The passenger side looks normal. How is oil provided in that area. I also see the drivers side timing chain is loose and the passenger side is not, that may be normal due to the adjusters being oil pressurized I think.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 months ago.
Lubrication SystemThe engine lubrication system operates as follows:Oil is drawn into the oil pump through the oil pump screen cover and tube in the sump of the oil pan.Oil is pumped through the oil filter on the left front side of the cylinder block.Oil enters the main gallery where it is distributed to the crankshaft main journals and to both cylinder heads.From the main journals, the oil is routed through cross-drilled passages in the crankshaft to lubricate the connecting rod bearings. Controlled leakage through the crankshaft main bearings and connecting rod bearings is slung radially outward to cool and lubricate the cylinder walls as well as the entire connecting rod, piston and piston ring assembly.The left cylinder head is fed from a drilling into the supply passage feeding the main gallery at the front of the cylinder block. The right cylinder head is fed from a drilling into the rear of the main gallery. Main gallery pressure is reduced as it enters the cylinder head galleries through fixed serviceable orifices, located at the upper part of the feed passages. It is this reduced pressure in the cylinder head galleries which feeds the camshaft journals, the hydraulic lash adjusters and the primary and secondary timing chain tensioners.The oil pressure feed for the Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT) solenoids, VCT housings and camshaft phaser and sprockets is not reduced.The camshaft lobe and roller followers are lubricated by splash created through valve train operation.With the mileage its not unusual to see chain or guide wear. If going in to the do the phasers, you should do the chains and tensioners as well. Above is the description of oil flow. If its not flowing thru one side, it would be a clogged oil flow port. You can run the engine with the valve covers off to compare both sides it would just be messy
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 months ago.
Hello, do you need more help with this concern?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 9 months ago.
Hello, just following up if you need more help?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for the imput. I am changing out the timing chains and putting in a high flow oil pump as long as I'm this far in the engine. I guess one more question is if the oil flow port is serviceable without removing the head? Im not really seeing exactly where this is without running the engine. I have the engine out of the car and emptied for the services I'm doing
Expert:  HDGENE replied 8 months ago.
With the engine removed you should be able to see the oil return passages as they run from the cylinder head through the block and into the oil pan area. Makes sure everything looks clean. To see how well the oil is flowing you would have to crank the engine over by hand multiple times to get the oil flowing with the oil pan on and full of oil.