Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Thunderbird: My 2002 Thunderbird has started shutting down

Customer Question

My 2002 Thunderbird has started shutting down and horn blowing and lights flashing when we try to start the car, can I do something to stop this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.
Hello, the car starts and stalls and alarm goes off or there is an issue with the factory alarm that it wont turn off? Key fobs working ok and its a ford security system?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is a Ford security system, sometimes the fob won't open drivers side.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.
Ok but the car cranks and runs and stalls or the red THEFT lamp flashes fast when you turn the key to on and wont run? Do you have more than one ignition key and if so does it do the same thing, second key fob same thing?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have 2 fobs, and they both do the same thing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it starts and then shutis down, we keep trying and finely get it to run.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.
Ok but what about the THEFT lamp, does it blink fast or come on steady and turn off after a few seconds with the key in the on position? Do you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail and does it seem like a good quality of fuel? Does the vehicle sit for long periods of time?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Theft light dose't come on, we drive the car at least once a week, fuel is good quality.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.
Im sorry, we don't seem to be communicating here well. Ill try this once more, the car starts and stalls out right away?The RED THEFT lamp for the PATS system doesn't work at all? It should blink slow with the key removed from the ignition and when the key is turned to the on position stay on steady for a few seconds if it can read the ignition key and then go out and allow the vehicle to start and run. You are saying it doesn't work at all?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes it starts and cuts off with horn blowing and lights flashing.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.
Ok im going to opt out of this question since we aren't communicating well, with regards ***** ***** THEFT lamp
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Trying to save money, guess I'll need to take it to the Ford place..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thats ok, I dont think this site is for me.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Different tech here, would you like me to try and help?