AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Ford Mustang GT: 1990 mustang 5.0 HO fuel relay underneath

Customer Question

1990 mustang 5.0 HO fuel relay underneath the seat keeps clicking car won't start because of that
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Clicking relays are caused by low system voltage. Start by checking the battery voltage. It should read 12 volts if it is fully charged. If that checks out good, then check the battery cables and connections. Also, don't forget about the starter as that could be bad too..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok it has 12v at the battery and I've checked the connections around the battery. I've even put a new alternator on it. What would I need to check on the starter I've never done that before
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay! You are going to need to use a voltmeter and check for voltage on the big wire going to the starter with the key in the CRANK position. You will need an assistant to turn the key while you check for power
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Should it be the same as battery voltage?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
YES
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance? Let me know!
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.