James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

Expedition: , I have a 2012 Expedition. Over the past 4

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2012 Expedition. Over the past 4 months off and on while driving I smell gas- not a fuel smell- but like when you turn on a gas stove and it doesn't light. It last for about 5-10 seconds. Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
Hello, does it make a difference if the engine is hot or cold? By fuel you mean a natural gas smell?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It has happened within the first 5 minutes of driving as well as after I have been driving 30 minutes or more. The smell is not what car fuel smells like. It smells like a gas stove had been turned on but the flame didn't light & you smell the gas.
Thank you
Expert:  James replied 6 months ago.
The only thing I can think that would smell like that is an exhaust leak. An exhaust leak can cause the smell you are experiencing. If your vehicle still has under 60k miles I would call the dealer. Your engine is covered under warranty for 60k miles or 5 years.